Shop by Category
SSD Drive Data Recovery
SSD (SOLID STATE DRIVE) DATA RECOVERY
SSD are designed for security, speed and durability. They are less prone to mechanical failure as they have no moving parts, but if there is one place an SSD falls short in contrast to a HDD is the ease of data recovery. When it comes to data recovery the biggest difference between SSDs and HDDs is the usage of magnetic recording to store data versus using electronic recording. SSD uses NAND flash, while HDD uses glass or aluminium platters coated with a thin magnetic alloy.
COMMON FAILURES IN SOLID STATE DRIVES REQUIRING DATA RECOVERY
Although they are resilient and can handle environmental impacts, such as shock, temperature and physical vibration, SSD data is still susceptible to electrical damage, firmware corruption and controller failure. Three common types of flash/SSD failures are user error and environmental influences, electronics component failure, and system area corruption.
Some of the challenges specific to data recovery with SSDs include: several manufacturers in the SSD space, lack of standards in NAND manufacturing, proprietary chip pin outs, proprietary wear levelling algorithms, proprietary encryption, use of glue and other epoxy-like substances on the NAND chips and microscopic traces, along with many others.
Various operating system functions like TRIM and software components like background data collection (BGC) can be the most accounted reasons for the extended software complexity of retrieving data on SSD.
SOFTWARE MALFUNCTION – LOGICAL SSD DATA RECOVERY
A file system defines the internal data organisation format on an SSD. File system also controls the access to both the metadata and contents of a file that exists in SSD as an entity. Data loss in SSD drives can happen due to the following reasons.
- File system failure on SSD
- Corruption of SSD data due to virus or malware
- Accidental deletion of files
- Irregularities in Flash translation layer(FTL) of SSD
- SSD data corruption due to power outages
We use advanced SSD data recovery tools that employs a search algorithm to look out for the previous existing file systems and consequentially determines the physical address of previously existing content and the metadata. Hence it recovers the data by establishing a new file system for the orphaned data which helps in reconstruction of the file system.
HARDWARE MALFUNCTION – CHIP EXTRACTION METHOD
- Hardware malfunction on an SSD occurs when there is a physical damage or a functional failure in the internal circuitry of the SSD.
- SSD’s are made of NAND flash memory; these components are similar to the ones used in USB flash drive. Chip extraction involves removing the main memory component of the SSD that is NAND flash chips from the PCB board and connect it to a donor board.
- The other techniques may involve repairing or reconstructing the damaged hardware components and replacing them to make the SSD accessible by the data recovery equipment.
FREE EVALUATION & ASSESSMENT - "No Charge & Obligation Free"
Our Free Evaluation will include Diagnostic Processes to identify Software (Logical) and Electronic issues that are potentially responsible for your data loss.
- We have invested in software solutions from industry leaders as part of your free evaluation will include the media being scanned by proprietary tools to analyse the data independent of the operating system installed.
- if the media is not responsive, it is then sampled by hardware tools by ACE Labs to assess and repair the drive.
- Drive Images are created subsequently to analyse the state of data loss & type of recovery technique required.
All of the above is performed by our trained engineers as part of the “Free Evaluation” to maximise the chances of your data recovery.
DATA RECOVERY PROCESS & NO DATA NO FEE POLICY
STAGE 1 – INITIAL ASSESSMENT & LOGICAL LEVEL RECOVERY
- Each case begins with a “Free Initial Diagnostic” to determine the potential for data recovery.
- The initial diagnosis determines the type of Data Loss, Type of Recovery Required & Chances of a Successful Data Recovery. We use state of the art Data Recovery Software & Hardware Tools to maximise the chances of data recovery at the lowest cost.
- If the results are positive the first priority is to create a raw image of the data to avoid further data loss. No Data – No Fee applies if zero data is irrecoverable.
- Based on the Results a Quote is provided & You can then decide whether to proceed or not.
STAGE 2 - FOR COMPLEX RECOVERIES & CLEAN ROOM SERVICE
- If your hard drive requires service such as repair or clean room services which includes Physical Damage, Mechanical or Electronic Failure) to obtain a Hard Drive Image necessary for data recovery we move to this stage.
- Once the Data Image has been obtained, we will then provide a Quote to Recover Your Data based on the Results.
- Once we have the approval we will endeavour to complete the data recovery process and transfer the files to an external storage media.
WHAT WILL DATA RECOVERY COST ?
Unfortunately Data Recovery being a complex process can turn out be an expensive exercise. It is difficult to quote without assessing the drive. It can be as low as $295 for jobs that require logical data recovery from operational solid state drives to a lot more for Complex Data Recovery for damaged drives. Our Free Evaluation & Assessment Process usually provides a good indication of the likely results and cost involved.